Cemeteries and Their Stories,
Madison County, Indiana
aka Old Beulah Church Cemetery
Duck Creek Township
Location: west side of SR 13, between CRs 1800N and 1850N
Destroyed; burials unknown
Looking southeast, one of the access lanes to the Leisure Cemetery was along the north side of this tree, which is rooted on the west side of SR 13.
The hamlet of Leisure is in the northwest corner of Duck Creek Township where sections 9, 10, 16, and 15 intersect. This tiny community is shown on the 1901map of the county and the cemetery is also indicated. The Leisure Cemetery was destroyed in mid 20th century before the 1973 state laws protecting abandoned burial grounds were in place. The approximate location for the cemetery is a quarter mile north of CR 1800N and a quarter mile west of SR 13. The juncture is now part of a farmer's field.
Township historian Margorie Pierce informs the MCCC that the Leisure Cemetery existed between 1920 and the early 1940s, contained between ten and twenty graves, and once had an iron arched gateway. The cemetery was a family and later township burial ground. The graveyard was destroyed so that the ground could be used for growing crops, and the grave markers were dumped in a local gravel pit. No records of those buried at this location can be found.
In the picture below (c. 2007), MCCC member Devon Dow is standing at the approximate location for the Leisure Cemetery. The hamlet of Leisure is in the background. Eye witnesses explained that the now destroy cemetery use to be about a quarter mile north of the large tree on the extreme right. This tree sits along CR 1800N, and Devon is standing directly west of the tree in the picture above. (GPS coordinates can be found for the Leisure Cemetery on this web site's Cemetery List.)